AC Milan stay ahead of rivals Inter in Serie A title race

Sunday, May 1, 2022
author picture Hugo Bertrand
trends
Video/image source : youtube, cdnmoscm
Original content created by news.limited staff

AC Milan Stay Ahead of Rivals Inter in Serie A Title Race

Following a late goalkeeping mistake‚ AC Milan stay top of the Serie A title race. Rafael Leao's goal helped the Italian club grab a vital away victory against Roma. However‚ the result is not as rosy as some might have hoped. Juventus' win over Venezia in the Champions League ensured they will be able to play in the Champions League next season. And in the other match‚ Lazio defeated Roma 2-0.

AC Milan stay top of Serie A after late goalkeeping clanger

Juventus are in the process of consolidating their Serie A title‚ but a late goalkeeping mistake has ensured that AC Milan are top of the table. A late goalkeeping error by Inter's reserve goalkeeper Ionut Radu has prevented the Red Devils from losing their unbeaten record in Serie A. But the goalkeeper was at fault for the mistake‚ as his error allowed Bologna to score the winner. The Italian champions have three points to play for - a two-point advantage over Inter Milan - to clinch the Scudetto. But Juventus still have a tough week ahead. They play a Serie A game on Friday and face a clash with Empoli on Sunday. The Nerazzurretta will also play Juventus in the Coppa Italia final. The Italians' goalkeeping is a key issue‚ and Inter have been guilty of sloppy defending in the past. However‚ their goalkeeper‚ Gianluca Vialli‚ has shown incredible restraint‚ and Milan will be confident they can stay in the title race. After all‚ a late goalkeeping clanger could mean the difference between a Serie A title and a relegation in the Champions League. Atalanta's impressive European history has led to them finishing 5th last season‚ and if they hadn't been penalized for a goalkeeping clanger‚ they would have been second. However‚ they have started the season well and have a good balance of silk and grit in their squad. They will be able to take advantage of the late goalkeeping clanger. AC Milan remained top of the Serie A table despite the goalkeeping blunder by Radu. Stefan de Vrij's error allowed a Perisic throw-in to trickle into Radu's path. Inter then failed to clear a dangerous pass into the area‚ and the resulting free kick from Nicola Sansone was enough to seal the title for the hosts. Despite this late goalkeeping error‚ Inter's players were left stunned and Roberto Gagliardi was seen rubbing his hands in despair. The incident was not limited to Serie A‚ with clubs in Serie B being implicated. The conspirators were likely targeting lower level clubs to avoid public scrutiny. However‚ they were eventually caught and the mess was cleaned up. And thanks to the recent goalkeeping scandal by AC Milan and Benevento‚ AC Milan remain top of the Serie A title race. There's one more thing that Milan's late goalkeeping clanger has done for them.

Juventus beat Venezia 2-1 to secure Champions League football

Juventus have beaten Venezia 2-1 to seal their place in the Champions League and a place in the Europa League next season‚ while AC Milan remain two points clear at the top of the table. Juventus had gone unbeaten in 13 consecutive Serie A matches until afael Leao's strike eight minutes from time. Roma drew with Bologna‚ while Juventus beat Venezia 2-1 to secure Champions League football next season. Juventus and AC Milan are two points clear of rivals Inter in the Serie A table‚ and Juventus' win over Venezia secured their Champions League place. However‚ Juventus' win over Venezia ensures that Milan will remain in the top four for now. The two teams have a combined 48% chance of winning the title‚ while the remaining six teams have a 52% chance. Roma were chasing a ninth successive league victory‚ and a win would see them close the gap. Luciano Spalletti deployed Diego Perotti as his False Nine and Stephan El Shaarawy‚ who has been on loan from AC Milan‚ to play in the centre of the defense. Nainggolan then swept the ball into the net with four minutes left‚ but Inter's efforts were in vain. With Roma and Inter still in the lead‚ a move away from Chelsea seems increasingly likely. In Serie A‚ Juventus defeated Venezia to secure their place in the Champions League. Fikayo Tomori‚ who has spent the last two seasons in Italy‚ discovered Italian culture at AC Milan and led the Rossoneri to the Scudetto in the summer. If that's not enough‚ the Italian culture has a way of finding the right formula for success. Meanwhile‚ Marseille drew 1-1 with Metz‚ despite a double strike from Radamel Falcao in the 88th minute. Marseille and Angers also drew 1-1‚ with Wissam Ben Yedder and Abdoulaye Bamba netting. While Brest survived an early dismissal from Roma due to an offside call‚ Montpellier were denied their first win at Stadio Olimpico since 2008. While Inter Milan have won three of their last four Serie A games‚ AC Milan have ended their 13-match unbeaten run. Juventus‚ meanwhile‚ beat Venezia 2-1 to secure Champions League football. With three games remaining‚ Juventus will have a chance to beat Inter Milan in a final and the winners will face each other in the Champions League.

Lazio win 2-0 at home to Roma

A savage derby between two Serie A title contenders did not disappoint on Saturday as Lazio won a deserved 2-0 home victory over Roma. Nedved was left fuming after being denied a penalty and prodded home the equaliser before Veron curled home a stunning free-kick. Refinement over savagery was evident for just a brief moment as Cafu was stretchered off for a lunge on Conceicao. In addition‚ Vincent Candela grabbed Roma defender Marco Delvecchio in the face and Almeyda dragged Francesco Totti into the goal area. Giorgio Chiellini also returned to the starting XI after suffering a calf injury in the previous match. The scudetto was not the only trophy at stake in this match‚ with Roma claiming the Supercoppa and Lazio winning the league and the Cup. The treble - Lazio winning the league and the Supercoppa - was just around the corner for the Italian side. And Lazio fans were there in force. They had been waiting for this moment for over 25 years and the victory opened a huge emotional valve. Despite the result‚ it is worth remembering that Lazio had a hand in the success of Roma. In the season 2000‚ a Lazio player scored an own goal against Roma. This gave the Italian side a 1-0 win and a three-point advantage in the league championship. So‚ while a victory over Roma is certainly good for Roma's confidence‚ a draw would have been much better. Despite Lazio's victory‚ the team showed little sign of mental preparation ahead of the title race. The first goal came from a penalty after Marchegiani brought down Weah. However‚ Lazio leveled the scores with a Shevchenko penalty‚ while the second goal was scored by Salas after a Veron pass. The result meant that the title race was still far from over‚ but the two teams remained in the race for the coveted treble. Tammy Abraham struck in the opening minute‚ poking a loose ball into the empty net after an excellent Roma move. The winger made an excellent overlapping run on the right before slipping through the ball to Abraham at the back post. Despite the reversal of fortune‚ Roma maintained their advantage and earned maximum points against Lazio. When Lazio are a game away from the Serie A title‚ a victory is vital. Fans of the two teams have a history of rivalry. The 2001-02 season saw similar events as Roma were beaten 1-0 by Inter and Lazio lost by two points. A win for Inter in this game would have meant victory for the latter side‚ but Lazio had a greater chance of winning the title if Roma were beaten. But it is a new era in Serie A.