Shanghai COVID cases keep rising, food supply problems persist

Sunday, April 10, 2022
author picture Gabriel Martim
trends
Video/image source : youtube, devdiscour
Original content created by news.limited staff

COVID Cases Keep Rising in China

A monetary hub with over 26 million residents‚ Shanghai‚ reported Sunday that the number of community transmitted cases of COVID-19 has increased to 25‚000. As food and basic supplies are scarce‚ citizens are filing lawsuits and worried that their cities will soon become similar to Shanghai. After all‚ the city's 0 tolerance policy prevents people from leaving. This is especially problematic in Ningbo‚ where hotels and restaurants are closing all indoor dining after reports of a large number of Covid-19 infections.

China's worst COVID outbreak since Wuhan in 2019

The cause of the latest COVID outbreak in China is still a mystery. While several dominant hypotheses have been put forward‚ there are no conclusive data to back them up. While China has repeatedly held up scientific investigations of the Wuhan outbreak‚ experts say time is running out. They argue that China needs to do more to investigate the situation. A recent report by the Associated Press shows that the Chinese government is secretly ramping up its response to the outbreak. While the Chinese government has put Wuhan under lockdown‚ it has failed to prevent the disease from spreading globally. In January‚ the Chinese government did not confirm that this year's COVID outbreak was human-to-human. As a result‚ China did not confirm a human-to-human transmission of the disease until late January‚ and even then‚ a significant number of cases were asymptomatic or only mild. Officials were unlikely to restrict travel for those without symptoms if the outbreak had not spread to other cities before late January. The latest China COVID outbreak is the largest and most widespread since Wuhan in early 2019. The number of locally transmitted cases in Shanghai has reached a three-month high‚ with nearly 6‚000 reported in 19 provinces. Officials said on Sunday that new cases had been detected in Shanghai in the past two days‚ an increase of over one third from a day before. Despite the relatively low case count‚ this latest COVID outbreak is still causing health concerns. While the Chinese government says the virus first infected people in Wuhan on December 1‚ the scientific community has largely been unable to trace the outbreak's origins. However‚ anecdotal evidence suggests that the virus may have started spreading in Wuhan as early as November. As a result‚ Chinese authorities have been reluctant to acknowledge the virus originated in the city‚ claiming that American troops brought it over. The claim was later denied‚ with Chinese officials denying any proof. Despite the number of deaths from COVID-19 reported in other countries‚ China has remained remarkably healthy throughout the entire outbreak. The Chinese government has released data indicating that it has suffered fewer deaths from COVID than other countries‚ and the cases of the virus are still lower than the official numbers. However‚ the deaths could have been related to other causes. If you want to know the exact numbers of deaths from the latest COVID outbreak in China‚ read the BMJ article. The data is sobering that we suggest a little caution is in order. As a result of the recent emergence of the virus‚ the Chinese government is doing what it can to contain the disease. The Chinese government has banned travel to Jilin province‚ and officials there have been a series of delays in reports. Some of these delays have complicated containment efforts. The government has also let Japanese patients leave the region‚ despite testing positive. As a result‚ the country's biggest COVID outbreak since Wuhan in 2019 has not been contained.

Food supply problems persist

The Chinese government has implemented strict restrictions on movement and has quarantined individuals with Covid. As the number of cases continues to rise‚ food supplies in Shanghai are under severe strain. Hundreds of messengers have been secured‚ and the food supply is not sufficient to meet demand. Despite the authorities' efforts‚ residents still have sporadic or delayed food deliveries. Despite this‚ residents are reporting no signs of a humanitarian crisis. Due to quarantine rules‚ local supermarkets and restaurants are closed. Residents are left to rely on government deliveries and online ordering to survive. Some are even trying to stock up on supplies for their lunchboxes. Despite the difficulty in accessing basic supplies‚ officials are putting every effort to ensure that they arrive. Nevertheless‚ many residents are still in a desperate state‚ with no hope of finding relief. While the number of Shanghai's Covid cases is low compared to other cities around the world‚ the city is dealing with China's largest COVID outbreak since Wuhan in 2016. The city is currently using a zero-tolerance policy‚ which seeks to trace and quarantine any COVID-positive person‚ thereby preventing further transmission. These restrictions are keeping people from traveling to the city‚ but the government does not want anyone to spread the infection. Moreover‚ the city is testing for COVID in 11 areas. A high-risk area in Guangzhou has been placed under lockdown. Its Center for Disease Prevention and Control has confirmed eight COVID cases in the past two weeks. On the other hand‚ Guangzhou is beginning testing in 11 districts. A guide circulated on social media recommended purchasing basic cooking tools‚ dried food staples and seasonings. As the number of COVID cases continues to rise‚ China has taken steps to ensure that essential supplies reach the city. On Sunday‚ Shanghai reported 1‚006 symptomatic regional situations. China has also reported 23‚937 cases of asymptomatic regional situations. This is not a good sign for Shanghai. Nevertheless‚ a good news is that the government has made concessions to meet the needs of its citizens.

Ningbo closes all indoor dining at restaurants and hotels after cases are reported

Despite China's recent COVID outbreak‚ the city is continuing to be cautious. The local municipal government has placed a high-risk zone under lockdown‚ and a statewide testing campaign will soon start across 11 districts. The city of Ningbo has also shut down all indoor dining at restaurants and hotels. In addition‚ confined space testing will begin on Monday across the city.